The De Smet News was founded in 1880 in "The Little Town on the Prairie" of Laura Ingalls Wilder fame. It has published continuously since. The News has enjoyed long-term ownerships and Dale Blegen, its publisher since 1977, is only the fourth publisher the paper has had since 1880.
The News primarily serves the western half of Kingsbury County, the south third of Clark and Hamlin counties and the northwest corner of Miner County. There are, however, subscribers throughout South Dakota and in most states of the nation.
The De Smet News office around the turn of the 20th century. Standing from left are an unidentified young man, another youth (probably Aubrey Sherwood) and Publisher Carter Sherwood.
The News and Leader Old Settler's Day float from June 10,1900, 11 years after the merger of the two papers. On the float at left are a MacDonald daughter, Mrs. MacDonald, Leader publisher Mr. MacDonald, Vincent Sherwood, his father and News publisher Mr.Sherwood and Edna Halladay. Standing in front of the float from left are Mrs. Sherwood, Mrs. J.F. Halladay and three unidentified women.
Carter Sherwood stands at the door of the News and Leader after merging of his De Smet Leader with C.B. MacDonald's Kingsbury County News in 1891. At the left of the picture is Carrie Ingalls, who learned the printer's trade from Mr. Sherwood. Others not identified.
Copyright © 2016-2017 The De Smet News & it's Licensors.